The City of New Orleans in partnership with Total Community Action is offering rental assistance to workers that have been impacted by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic. The program which will begin on April 1, 2020, will be open strictly to Orleans Parish residents who are not getting paid by their employers or are not receiving rental assistance through other organizations. Applicants will be required to provide documentation of their hardship.
The program will begin with $150,000 which may be increased as more funding becomes available. The fund is expected to serve approximately 200 households with a grant amount of up to $750 per household and is expected to last for 90 days or until such time that the funding is exhausted.
- The program is designed to benefit low to moderate income households impacted by COVID-19.
- Priority will be given to families with children, re-entering citizens and lower income earning households. Consideration may be given to other vulnerable populations.
- Eligible tenants will have the grant paid directly to the landlord, directly benefitting the tenant and thelandlord.
- The rent must be considered current by the landlord after receipt of the grant payment.
- The grant will be calculated based on the amount of rent owed and the tenant’s ability to pay a portion of the past due rent.
- Applicants will be required to provide documentation of their income and eligibility which may include check stubs, bank statement and/or a letter from your employer.
- Applicants must be a resident of the City of New Orleans.
Examples of Impact by COVID-19
- Job loss, furlough or layoff
- Reduction in hours of work
- Store, restaurant or office closure
- The need to miss work to care for a home-bound, school age child or elderly person
To apply, residents should call the Mayor’s Office of Community Development (OCD) at 504-658-4200 or Total Community Action (TCA) at 504-882-7181 to begin the intake process.